Why Thin Crust is the Latest Trend in Pizza
Pizza has been around for a long time and is not going anywhere soon. People love to customize their pizzas with different toppings and styles, but one of the biggest trends in pizza right now is thin crust.
This isn't your traditional deep-dish pizza or classic hand-tossed pie. Instead, this style of pizza is becoming increasingly popular due to its lighter, crispier texture and unique flavor profile. Here are some reasons why the thin crust is becoming such a big hit:
- Healthier - Less dough is used for thin crusts than deep dish varieties. As a result, each slice of the thin crust will usually have fewer calories and carbs than an equivalent slice of deep-dish pizza, making it an excellent option for health-conscious individuals. However, it still offers all the delicious flavors of traditional pizzas without the added calories.
- Easier to Manage - Thin-crust pizzas are easier to handle than traditional pies because they are typically smaller in diameter. At Colony Grill, ours was created decades ago to fit on a tray placed on a narrow bar top. With our 'bar pie,' guests could easily hold a slice in one hand while enjoying a cold drink in the other.
- It Has a Unique Taste - Thin crust pizza has a unique taste many people enjoy. It features bold flavors while also being light and crispy at the same time. Plus, it has less cheese, tomato sauce, and other toppings than regular pizzas, allowing them to shine through in each bite!
Thin Crust vs. Deep Dish
How does thin-crust pizza compare to the classic deep-dish pizza? Let's take a look at the numbers to find out.
- A recent survey of 1,000 pizza lovers found that an overwhelming majority (77%) prefer thin crust over the deep dish. This trend was especially pronounced among younger generations; 84% of millennials liked the thin crust, while only 62% of baby boomers chose it as their favorite style.
- The survey also revealed that people who opt for thinner crusts tend to eat more pizza than those who don't. On average, thin crust lovers ate approximately four slices per month compared to just three pieces for deep dish fans. This could be because thin crusts are generally lighter in calories and fat, making them healthier than traditional versions.
What are the most popular toppings for thin-crust pizza?
The most popular toppings for thin-crust pizza usually include tomatoes, cheese, and ingredients like pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, onions, and bell peppers. These toppings are all light enough to complement the thin crust without weighing it down.
At Colony Grill, our one-of-a-kind, thin-crust pizza is best served with our signature "hot oil" topping. People can't get enough of pizza that's made more appealing when drizzled with a spicy, full-of-flavor, pepper-infused creation called "hot oil." We have been known for our hot oil bar pies since 1936 and are happy to introduce them to more pizza lovers around the country.
So there you have it: just a few reasons why thin-crust pizzas are becoming increasingly popular. If you haven't experienced the joys of a thin-crust pizza, head to Colony Grill today and order one with your favorite toppings, a breakfast pizza, or a salad pizza. Whichever one you choose, you won't be disappointed with its deliciousness!